Anyone who owns an older SAAB 9-3 or 9-5 knows how annoying it can be to lose pixels on your SID (SAAB Information Display). The general reason of the problem is a ribbon cable that begins to degrade and lose contact with the circuit board and/or the LCD display.
There are a host of DIY solutions out there and I’ve tried virtually all of them. They are nearly all a shot in the dark because some will have great success and others terrible success. It all depends on the condition of this ribbon cable.
There are outfits that will repair your SID and for the love of God DO NOT use Kramer Micro Repair on eBay. Your repair will go something like this…
Him: “Got it, but it’s unrepairable, so I can sell you a good one.”
Me: “Uhhhh, OK just send me a good one.”
Him: “On it’s way that’ll be another $XXX.”
You receive it and he thinks it’s completely normal that there are like 10 pixels out and over time it will just lose more… The only reason he has ok feedback is when people receive them back it’s OK and you can’t leave feedback twice.
Maybe others can chime in, but I don’t have any other experience with other repair services.
Now getting to Pixlefix.net… Since the solution is actually replacing the ribbon cable I thought I’d give it a try! Below are some pictures I took of the whole operation. This is not for a job for the casual DIYer, but for someone with patience and determination. So the question is did I have success… as you can see from the photos the before shots were terrible (probably around 2% of the pixels working) and the after shots weren’t bad (80%) working. I actually had to go in twice. The second time I placed some rubber bands around the LCD to put more pressure on the connection. Sorry there weren’t many pics of that part I got so deep in it I forgot about taking pictures.
So 80% isn’t bad… but I think my problem is I may have damaged the ribbon cable by moving it around, so I’m going to contact pixelfix and see if I can’t get a replacement ribbon cable and give it another go. If they send me one I’ll put more detailed photos and perhaps a short video of the procedure.
So the 80% fix was because I messed up with the SID 1 vs SID 2 cable. Here’s my suggestion… before you order a ribbon cable pull your SID apart and compare your ribbon cable with the pics on the website. If you watch my video you’ll see I have two different SIDs, both say SID 2, but one had a SID 1 ribbon cable.
Anyway… I can’t recommend this fix enough. Pixelfix.net is GREAT! If I had to do it again it’d probably take me 15 minutes and I’d have a perfect SID. So if you want me to take care of it email me and we might be able to work something out.